Join Denis Campbell, editor of UK Progressive magazine and Phil Parry former BBC anchor and editor of TheEye-Investigates.uk.
Download and rate us from iTunes!
Android devices find us on Google Play’s Podcast Nation App!
Story of the week
Junior doctors strike part deux
- Hunt threatening to impose unilateral contract
- Doctors seriously considering abandoning UK for OZ and other places
- Do we really want doctors working 6-7 days a week and diagnosing illnesses?
- Noun, verb and what we inherited after 13 years of Labour
- How does David Cameron and Hunt get away with this?
- WHO serious epidemic
- Leads to birth defects and can be transmitted sexually?
- Four cases of the Zika virus in the UK
- US athletes will not go to Rio ’16 Olympics
- Carnival ended this week, how many infected
Global financial meltdown?
- US Fed chief Janet Yellen worries about China and it global impact
- Oil market collapse, 35K jobs lost in Scotland in the sector
- Why is this not page one news?
- Growing political movement
- Tim and Jane went there to show plight of 8K refuges in tent city trying to get to UK
- Ukip hustings meeting, “I wish more of them had drowned.” Said to applause?
Seoul shut down joint north-south industrial complex
- North Korea launched a satellite
- Villified by the UN Security council
- Long range missile delivery
- (The Donald will eliminate him btw)
Twitter Messing with our timelines
- Hashtag #RIPTwitter
- Change not asked for but will do everything they can to monetise
- Interesting reactions – they want the best items first on timeline but who says what is best?
Minimum nurses bill passed into law
- Will increase numbers of nurses on wards
- Lib Dem initiative led by KirstyWilliams
- Extra money clawed back for Universities and Local Authorities
Ukip Nathan Gill says members back him as leader in Wales
- Execrable candidates, say outrageous things and most recoil.
- My plan is attack fire with fire.
- Bringing a gun to a gun fight instead of a butter knife.
Sexism in Western Mail
- Appointed first woman editor Catrin Pascoe…
- Portrayal of women is appalling from the 1970s
- Miss Wales and Welsh rugby star wives and girlfriends called gorgeous.
Jack Straw on FOIA commission
- As minister had a horrible record of blocking and hiding
- Now could limit what the press finds out?
New Hampshire Primary
- New York Daily News headline – Dawn of the Brain Dead
- Republican side: Trump, Kasich, Bush, Cruz, Rubio, Christie, Carson Fiorina, Gilmore
- Delegates: Trump 10 (17), Kasich 3 (4), Cruz 2 (10), Bush 2 (3), Rubio 0 (7), Carson 0 (3)
- Dems Hillary vs Bernie – big night for Sanders, 13 (34) Clinton 9 (32) for winning Iowa she won super delegates and they leave NH tied.. 15-15
- But committed Super Delegates? Hillary 362, Sanders 8 (Total delegates 394-42)
- Dem primary about to become about race, who can win black and Hispanic vote vs just angry white vote?
Chris Christie and Carly Fiorina are out
- Rupert Murdoch called Chris Christie a suicide bomber, content to blow himself up
- Now the lawsuits will fly.. predict he will be in prison very soon.
- Carly finished 7th
- Would not be in next debate
- 7 Republicans left (Gilmore said he cannot win) vs. 2 Dems
On to South Carolina on the 20th
- Hillary vs. Bernie
- Bill Clinton was America’s 1st black president
- Trump will crush the redneck vote
- Republican establishment in deep distress
Flint Michigan Water crisis
- Michigan Special Administrator laws
- To save $5 million dollars went from buying lake water from Detroit to Flint River water
- Problem is the corrosive lead in that water
- Children lead poisoned for 21 months
- State officials working in Flint had bottled water while residents were publicly told water is safe
- Switched back but pipes are damaged.. will ned $400 million to replace pipes
- Snyder trying to save himself
- Will ask lawmakers for $195 million in aid
- Described as a genocide
Pity poor Disney
- Made $2.9 bn in the last quarter yet stock hammered -4%
- Star Wars was a huge boost
- The villain on the horizon: ESPN
- $1.9 billion for NFL, $1 bn for NBA, $470 million for3 game college football playoff
- Lost 3 million subscribers
- Tough for media companies to comete and monetise digitally.
Settlement in the Happy birthday lawsuit
- Warner Chappell owned the copyright through 2030
- $14 million dollar settlement places the song in the public domain
- Play it on air, you would get a royalty payment notice.
Three journalists and critics of today’s too cosy fawning media discuss the public relations SPIN today that masquerades as mainstream media news coverage.
E-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org Our listener voicemail lines are: in London +44 (0)20 8144 8054 and in Washington DC +1 (202) 697 9977.
Denis Campbell on Twitter @UKProgressive
Phil Parry on Twitter @WalesEye
Dr. Dario Llinares on Twitter @DarioDoubleL