Labour tried to return to its roots in Brighton but the new leadership ‘team’ continues to ruffle the Blairite feathers. We’re joined by fracktivist Elizabeth Thomsen of Safe Alliance on why they think fracking’s days are numbered. The refugee crisis continues to simmer. American activist Steve Barrett joins us. Speaker Boehner announced his retirement and is about to be replaced by a man who linguistically makes Sarah Palin sound like a mensa candidate. Stephen Colbert is smashing it as host of The Late Show replacing David Letterman. And… Jeb! Is now Jeb… as Bush fights for relevancy against a superhuman Donald Trump.
Join Denis Campbell, editor of UK Progressive magazine, Phil Parry former BBC anchor and editor of TheEye-Investigates.uk and Dr. Dario Llinares of Brighton University.
Download and rate us from iTunes!
Android devices find us on Google Play’s Podcast Nation App!
Three journalists and critics of today’s too cosy fawning media discuss the public relations SPIN today that masquerades as mainstream media news coverage.
This week Phil and Denis discuss:
Our favourite news stories this week.
All hail comrade Corbyn?
- If elected PM will never use Trident not even in self defence
- Row with Shadow Defence Secretary and 90% of Labour
- What is the effing point of having them if not using them?
Corbyn Labour Conference speech
- Used passage rejected by five previous Labour leaders
- Quiet and warm candidate today vs. Fiery pronouncements of youth
- Run-up mix tape of Jeremy with Hugo Chavez and Gerry Adams
- Where were they for Labour?
- What is their policy?
Carwyn Jones and Corbyn at odds?
- The dynamic between them has got to be strained
- Pro- vs anti-business
- Question Time tonight
Growing row over public sector salaries
- Classic waffle by Carwyn on Cardiff exec earning £170K more than PM
- Salary is outrageous
- Council should be setting it not the Assembly
- Poof disappeared
- Housing Authority power couple
- Combined income of £230K
Fracking in the UK
- Elizabeth Thomsen of Safe Alliance an anti-fracking group
- Fracking is in big trouble why is this case?
- Evidence and court cases
- Financial Structure not as genuine
- For every $1 made costs = $1.50
- Health evidence
- UK and New York reports
- Deception of industry leaders
- Shows water sources then miles down in the bedrock
- Inaccurate posters illustration
- False record, when CEO of Interstrata, the audience would not understand
United Nations is in New York for their ‘Conference Week’
- Immigration and ISIS
- Lot of talk no action – fear the refugee crisis is dropping off global radar
- Doubled in Europe to 500K migrants
- Pope in the USA took all the media oxygen
- Steve Barrett
Did you see the Pope?
- How the hell would you know if you were focused on filming him with your camera?
- Or taking a selfie?
- So called live events through the lens of your iPhone even when there?
- What the hell have we become?
Ding dong the Speaker’s Gone
- Boehner sees his mother’s dream happen after three invites
- Resigns the next day
- Sneaks a CR through
- Will he push Senate immigration reform bill to the floor?
Stephen Colbert is knocking it out of the park
- Trump still has commanding lead
- Was on Colbert (sensational programme btw)
- 16 episodes: Jeb show 1, Bernie, Cruz, Michelle Obama – the show
- Variety reports it is a ratings hit now tied with Tonight in 3rd week
- 55% better than Letterman’s audience
What’s wrong with Jeb! Now just Jeb…
- Jeb’s big buck backers are worried
- Iowa single digits and continually losing share to others despite huge money lead
- Not happy warrior – surly on the trail, looks like he ate something bad
Hillary’s poll numbers cratering/GOP imploding
- I keep telling people it is early
- But what if Biden enters the race?
- I still do not think Bernie will be taken seriously by rank and file voters
- Warren gave an amazing speech at Kennedy Library
- 16 months to go STILL yet Iowa now only four months away
E-mail us: email@example.com Our listener voicemail lines are: in London +44 (0)20 8144 8054 and in Washington DC +1 (202) 697 9977.
Denis Campbell on Twitter @UKProgressive
Phil Parry on Twitter @WalesEye
Dr. Dario Llinares on Twitter @DarioDoubleL