Jon Stewart says farewell and Brian Williams is asked to leave… for six months. We discuss fake and real news and the blurry line between news and entertainment. Plus HSBC and Tory Peer Lord Fink are in hot water because everyone is doing it… avoiding paying taxes that is and it looks like the big bank wrote the book that helped more than 6,000 people send their money abroad to cheat. And Dario introduces us to the Oscar buzz and growing controversy surrounding the film American Sniper.
Welcome to the SPIN-free politics zone. Every week we discuss and debate the confluence of global politics and media. Hosted by Denis Campbell, editor of UK Progressive magazine, Phil Parry former BBC anchor and editor of WalesPolitico.uk and Falmouth University’s Dr. Dario Llinares (DarioLlinares.com).
Download and rate us from iTunes!
For those with Android phones search for us on the Podcast Nation App!
It’s unfiltered and uncensored, a chance for you to be a ‘fly on the wall’ listening in to a conversation between three journalists and critics of today’s ever too cosy media and public relations convergence masquerading as mainstream media news coverage. We push tough issues and ask tough questions that you want to see answered.
This week Dario, Phil and Denis discuss:
- Jon Stewart’s bombshell announcement (play tape…)
- The six month suspension of NBC’s Brian Williams
- Helicopter story, will he come back or become the next Dan Rather?
- When will FOX suspend its ‘news’ people for lying? 60-80% of their stories contain false information
- New York Times took Cheney planted story on nuclear yellow cake
- Free and independent press?
- FOX = Murdoch/NBC = Comcast/CBS = Viacom & Time Warner/ABC = Disney
- HSBC Scandal
- Non-dom tax exemption being exploited… HSBC has the trail and documents
- Who knew what and when
- 6,000 names with HMRC trying to collect
- List was passed along to Justice Minister in 2010(!)
- Clinton Global Foundation collected $81 Million from HSBC customers?
- 12 weeks until the election
- Jordan’s Awakening
- Involved in more sorties, troops on the Iraq border
- What Obama needed, someone other than the USA/UK with skin in game
- Oscar buzz
- Selma snubbed
- Consensus is it’s between Birdman and Boyhood
- No African Americans nominated, all 25 key actors and directors are white
- Film review and discussion: American Sniper furore
- Hero of the right
- Guy was killed and his trial started Wednesday with opening arguments
- Left says it glorifies violence
- And much, much more on The Three Muckrakers podcast!
You can e-mail the show via firstname.lastname@example.org and we have a London and Washington DC show telephone line where one can leave us a message which might be broadcast on air and discussed by the team. You can reach us by phone on +1 (202) 697 9977 and in the UK and Europe +44 (0)20 8144 8054.
You can follow:
Denis Campbell on Twitter @UKProgressive
Phil Parry on Twitter @WalesEye
Dr. Dario Llinares on Twitter @DarioDoubleL