by Denis G. Campbell
In South Korea this morning President Donald Trump urged all nations to join the US in isolating “the brutal regime of North Korea.”
Looks like his own nation is running out of patience with HIS brutal regime.
While some pundits claim that Virginia and New Jersey ALWAYS vote for the party opposite the one in the White House during the first year of a new presidency, last night was historic in many regards:
- Virginia and New Jersey were all about Donald Trump. Both races’ exit polls showed the Democrat between 87 and 95 percent of the dissatisfied vote as well as their own party’s votes.
- Exit polls showed Trump’s approval rating was just 40%, four points higher than the latest CNN poll but 57% percent disapproved of his job performance.
- Polls showed Virginia to be deadlocked the last three days? Democratic Lieutenant Governor Northam crushed Ed Gillespie by 9 points 54 to 45 percent. The democrats also swept to victory in every statewide office.
- Also in Virginia the Democrats needed to flip 17 seats to gain control of the House of delegates? They flipped 17 seats meaning in the 2020 post-census redistricting map, the Dems will have veto power over gerrymandered districts.
- In New Jersey, the toxicity of Trump and current governor Chris Christie led to a 13 point win 55 to 42 percent for Democrat Phil Murphy.
- Even in Maine, voters went against their unpopular Governor to authorize the Medicaid expansion available to provide healthcare under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and crushed Paul LePage.
- An anti-gun Democrat former TV news anchor whose fiancée was gunned down on live television won a seat in the House of Delegates in ultra conservative Blacksburg.
It was a thorough beat down of Donald Trump and his divisive, hateful nature. He is already trying to deflect the result through silly Tweets.
Ed Gillespie worked hard but did not embrace me or what I stand for. Don’t forget, Republicans won 4 out of 4 House seats, and with the economy doing record numbers, we will continue to win, even bigger than before!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 8, 2017
Looking at the Democratic candidates assembled for next fall, he is headed for even bigger defeat if he does not stop Tweeting and being boorish.
The Republican Party should be very scared by the result in Virginia.
Yes, many will dismiss this as a win in a purple state that Donald Trump lost last November, but ti see reliable red districts flip and the entire House of Delegates as well as all statewide offices go to the Democrats, that is a huge message.
Coal country and downtrodden whites who lost their factory jobs are relying on you and they just turned against you Mr. President. 17 seats were lost by the party you chair and no throwaway Tweet or dismissal by FOX News of the result can fix that.
As we often say… watch this space.