Chelsea, currently top of the Premier League, were forced to issue a statement following claims that the club insisted on a confidentiality clause in a settlement with an ex-player who said he had been sexually abused by a former chief scout at the club.
The development followed claims on Saturday that a former employee of Southampton football club accused of sexually abusing young players in the 1980s is still working in the sport.
Meanwhile, the NSPCC said it had received calls to its football abuse hotline alleging cases of continuing abuse, raising the risk that some children might currently be in danger.
Child protection sources within Operation Hydrant, the national police body coordinating historical sex abuse claims, have told the Observer that 55 professional and non-league clubs have so far been cited by players claiming they were abused.
More than 50 football clubs have now been named in allegations passed to police investigating child sex abuse, as the scandal continues to engulf the sport.