#Donald Trump has been President Trump for 500 days as of noon today, and everything has changed, and nothing has changed.
Be smart: In 500 days, Trump’s hijacking of the formerly conservative GOP is complete — an astonishing accomplishment. The majority party in America is fully defined by his policies, his popularity with the base, his facts-be-damned mentality, his ability to control and quiet virtually all Republican elected officials
- Trump has wiped out a large portion of Obama’s legacy. He’s exited the Paris climate deal; signed major tax cuts, especially for corporations; confirmed an ultra-conservative Supreme Court justice and record numbers of circuit court judges; deregulated like crazy; exited the Iran deal; exited the TPP trade deal; repealed the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate; and moved the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem, recognizing it as Israel’s capital.
- New hardline immigration enforcement is in place, including separating children from parents of illegal immigrants. An extraordinary percentage of Trump’s senior staff has quit or been fired.
- Only one campaign original remains on Trump’s staff: social media director Dan Scavino.
- A national security adviser who began with bombastic high hopes of enforcing a new hard line against radical Islam — Mike Flynn — is now at personal peril in the Mueller investigation.
- Trump no longer talks about wiping out the national debt by ending “waste, fraud and abuse.”
- Trump no longer talks about shutting down federal agencies.
- Family survives despite many premature obituaries about Jared and Ivanka (Javanka).
- Trump still watches a ton of TV, views everything through a media lens, and obsesses over negative coverage.
- Trump still views foreign negotiations as zero-sum games with a clear winner and loser. The scorecard is the bilateral trade deficit; Trump’s hardline instincts on trade and immigration are unchanged from the campaign trail.
- There’s no trillion-dollar infrastructure package.
- Mexico hasn’t paid for the wall — and Congress has only given Trump a pittance so far.
- The national debt has climbed ever higher under Trump’s stewardship.
- Trump still lies, exaggerates, distorts and responds to paper cuts by butchering his enemies.