Greece defaults on a €1.7 billion euro IMF loan repayment and shuffles off a cliff towards the EU exit. Tragedy strikes UK holiday goers in Tunisia’s seaside resort of Sousse as an IS sympathizing gunman kills 30. And ‘The Donald’ launches his publicity stunt US Presidential campaign with a string of Mexican slurs that cost him contracts with Univision, NBC and now, perhaps all of New York City?
Join Denis Campbell, editor of UK Progressive magazine, Phil Parry former BBC anchor and editor of WalesPolitico.uk and Falmouth University’s Dr. Dario Llinares (DarioLlinares.com) in this weekly discussion of global politics and media.
Download and rate us from iTunes!
Android devices find us on Google Play’s Podcast Nation App!
Three journalists and critics of today’s too cosy fawning media discuss the public relations SPIN today that masquerades as mainstream media news coverage.
This week Phil, Dario and Denis discuss:
- Greece in ‘technical’ default on a €1.7 bn payment to IMF
- IMF: austerity measures would still leave Greece with unsustainable debt
- Yes or No referendum for Sunday
- Tsipras – no vote does not mean Grexit
- Eurozone breaks off talks until after the vote
- Hinted yesterday they would accept terms.
The Tunisian Attack
- Young ISIS sympathiser
- 7 more arrested
- 30+ murdered
Historical Child Abuse
- Greville Janner decision overturned…
- Will face prosecution after furore
Heathrow Runway fight in Parliament
- Cameron could lose unless decides to build third runway
Huge Tory Fracking loss in Lancaster
- Planning council says no
- Cuadrilla dealt serious blow
- Will Tories simply change the rules and allow fracking
- US report: fracking companies ignored water contamination and sickness complaints
- Oklahoma oil and gas companies can be sued for earthquakes caused by fracking
SCOTUS Closing week
- Historic gay marriage decision
- Independent redistricting commissions upheld
- Obamacare upheld
- EPA rules on coal plants overturned
- Lethal injection upheld for death penalty
- Justices openly feuding from the bench
- Reading their dissenting opinions
- Trumps horrible, no-good very bad week
- NBC dropped him from Apprentice
- NBC dropped Miss USA and Miss Universe
- Macy’s dropped his clothing line
- Chris Christie enters the race
No lame duck here…
- Congressional GOP tried moving overtime goalpost from 29 out to 39 hours.
- OBAMA signed exec order giving OverTime Pay to more people than before.
Normalising relationship with Cuba
- Will open embassies in DC and Havana
Obama Clementa Pinckney eulogy
- Media out of context yet again
- Focus on singing, not why?
- Focused on ‘N’ word in WTF interview
E-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org London +44 (0)20 8144 8054 and Washington DC +1 (202) 697 9977 listener phone lines.
Denis Campbell on Twitter @UKProgressive
Phil Parry on Twitter @WalesEye
Dr. Dario Llinares on Twitter @DarioDoubleL